For counseling students, the comprehensive examination consists of a two-part written multiple-choice exam covering all components of the degree program of students. This written multiple-choice examination must be passed before students are recommended for graduation. The comprehensive examination is given three times a year, in the fall, spring, and summer. Students must be enrolled in at least one credit hour in order to take the comprehensive examination. Students who are not enrolled will not be allowed to take the comprehensive examination. Students must complete an application to take the comprehensive examination and have the application signed by their advisor. The application must be submitted no less than 30 days before the date the student intends to take the comprehensive examination.
In order to be eligible to take the master's comprehensive examination, a student must be enrolled during the current semester in which the exam is administered, must have a 3.0 GPA, and must be within six hours of completing the coursework. Students will be tested on materials from all of the core course requirements including concentration area requirements.
The CPCE, consists of 160 multiple-choice questions from the following core areas:
- Helping Relationships [20 questions]
- Professional Orientation and Ethics [20 questions]
- Appraisal [20 questions]
- Career and Lifestyle Development* [20 questions]
- Group Work [20 questions]
- Research and Program Evaluation [20 questions]
- Human Growth and Development* [20 questions]
- Social and Cultural Foundations [20 questions]
In the emphasis portion of the comprehensive examination, given in the afternoon, there are 60 multiple choice questions from the student's concentration area.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling [20 questions]
- Family Counseling [20 questions]
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation [20 questions]
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling [15 questions]
- Medical Aspects of Disability [15 questions]
- Psychological Aspects of Disability [15 questions]
- Job Placement in Rehabilitation [15 questions]
- School Counseling Courses [45 questions]
- Practicum in School counseling [15 questions]