Department / Division
- Educational Psychology Faculty
- Assistant Professor
- B. Arch, 1997, Louisiana State University
- MLA, 2000, Louisiana State University
- M.S., 2015, Mississippi State University, Educational Psychology
- PhD, 2018, Mississippi State University, Educational Psychology; Cognitive Science concentration
- Fostering creativity and problem solving
- Writing as a cognitive process and as an active learning tool
- Design cognition
- Writing in the Behavioral Sciences (EPY 3513)
- Advanced Issues in Educational Psychology (EPY 4863)
- Applied Learning Theory (EPY 4033)
- Personality Adjustment in Educational Settings (EPY 4073)
- Psychology of Individual Difference and Exceptional Ability (EPY 3063)
- Research Methods (EPY 4513)
- Gallo, K. (2019) Writing across the landscape architecture curriculum. In: K. Jorgensen, E. Mertens, N. Karadeniz, & R. Stiles (Eds.), The Routledge handbook for teaching landscape. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Gallo, K. (2016). Zrozumiec zargon zawodowy/Understanding professional jargon. Psychologia Wychowawcza /Educational Psychology, 52, 164-171.
- Cannady, R. E., & Gallo, K. Z. (2016). Write Now! Using reflective writing beyond the humanities and social sciences. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 40, 188-206. doi:10.1080/0309877x.2014.938266
- Gallo, K., Morse, D., Swain, S., & Graves, R. (November, 2018) Sticky prominent features: What elements of good and bad writing cross from elementary school through college work? Paper presented at the annual meeting of Mid-South Educational Research Association, Pensacola, FL.
- Gallo, K., Morse, D. Swain, S., & Graves, R. (June, 2018) Scaling undergraduate scientific writing with Prominent Feature Analysis. Paper presented at the International Writing Across the Curriculum conference, Auburn, AL.
- Huang, K., Posadas G., Gallo, K., Doss, M., & Nowlin, T. (November 2017). Design and investigation of cooperative, scaffolded Wiki learning activities in an online graduate-level course. Paper presented at the international convention of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), Jacksonville, FL.
- Gallo, K., Gilbert, S. H., Hung, M., Houston, M. K., Peeples, K., Xie, J., & Morse, D. (November, 2017). Body weight and self-esteem: A meta-analysis of research conducted between 1994-2017. Paper presented at the annual meeting of Mid-South Educational Research Association, Starkville, MS.
- Brown, A., Gallo, K. & McGrew, S. (November, 2017) Got grit? Higher levels reported within hard majors. Poster presented at the annual meeting of Mid-South Educational Research Association, Starkville, MS, and (April, 2017), at the Mississippi State College of Education Faculty/Student Research Forum, Starkville, MS.
- Gallo, K. & Morse, D. (November, 2017) Can creativity be taught? A critical review of the past meta-analyses and syntheses (1967 – 2015). Paper presented at the annual meeting of Mid-South Educational Research Association, Starkville, MS.
- Gallo, K., & Morse, D. (March, 2017) Training to enhance convergent and divergent thinking in adults: A meta-analysis of randomized experimental studies. Poster presented at the International Convention of Psychological Science (ICPS), Vienna, Austria, and at the 2017 Mississippi State College of Education Faculty/Student Research Forum, Starkville, MS.
- Gallo, K. & Brown, A. (2015, November). I belong, Therefore I create?: Investigating Creative Self-Perceptions Among Male and Female University Students in Mostly-Male and Mostly-Female Departments. Mid-South Educational Research Association. Refereed. Lafayette, LA. Oral presentation.
- Gallo, K. (2014, March). Incubate; Don’t Fixate: Background, Current Research, and Design Education Implications of Insight Problem Solving. Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture. Refereed. Baltimore, Maryland. Oral presentation.
- Gallo, K., Seymour, D., Weed, C. (2013, November) Common Core State Standards: an Examination of the Psychological Foundations and Historical Influences. Mid-South Educational Research Association. Refereed. Poster presentation.
- Gallo, K. (2012, March). “I Am Thinking Brand New Thoughts”: Students’ Impressions of Active Learning in a Lecture-Based Urban Planning Course . Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture. Refereed. Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. Oral presentation.
- Gallo, K. (2011, March). The Brain Drain Club: Modeling Literacy and Encouraging Student Reflective Writing . Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture. Refereed. Los Angeles, California. Poster presentation.
- Fine and performing arts
Selected Professional Activities and Memberships
- American Psychological Association, Divisions 10 (The Society for the Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts) and 15 (Educational Psychology). Active member.
- Mid-South Educational Research Association. Active member.