Department / Division:
- Educational Foundations Faculty
- 247B Allen Hall
- B.A., East China Normal University, Foundations of Education
- M.A., Teachers College, Columbia University, Curriculum and Teaching
- M.Ed., Teachers College, Columbia University, Curriculum and Teaching
- Ed.D, Teachers College, Columbia University, Curriculum and Teaching
- Self-regulation, homework, and online groupwork
- Scale development and validation
- Cultural diversity
- Educational Research Design
- Introduction to Qualitative Research in Education
- Qualitative Data Analysis and Presentation in Education
- Xu, J. (2015). Investigating factors that influence conventional distraction and tech-related distraction in math homework. Computers & Education, 81, 304-314.
- Xu, J., Yuan, R., Xu, B., & Xu, M. (2014). Modeling students' time management in math homework. Learning and Individual Differences, 34, 33-42.
- Xu, J., Coats, L. T., & Davidson, M. L. (2012). Promoting student interest in science: The perspectives of exemplary African American teachers. American Educational Research Journal, 49, 124-154.
- Xu, J. (2008). Models of secondary students’ interest in homework: A multilevel analysis. American Educational Research Journal, 45, 1180-1205.
- Xu, J., & Corno L. (2003). Family help and homework management reported by middle school students. Elementary School Journal, 103, 503-518.
- Xu, J., & Corno, L. (1998). Case studies of families doing third grade homework. Teachers College Record, 100, 402-436.
- Coats, L., & Xu, J. (2007-2011). Worldviews of exemplary African American science Teachers ($339,185). National Science Foundation.
Selected Professional Activities and Memberships
- Editorial Review Board of Teachers College Record (since 2005)
- Reviewing manuscripts for over 30 journals in the US and Europe, including American Educational Research Journal, Educational Psychologist, Educational Researcher, Journal of Educational Psychology, Journal of Teacher Education, Learning and Instruction, Review of Educational Research, Science, and Sociology of Education.
- Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Educational Research Association since 1998 (2-4 presentations each year).
- Invited address titled “Homework emotion management at the secondary school level: Antecedents and homework completion" at the Annual Conference of Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Philadelphia, PA (2012, March).
Selected Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Journal Article Award, Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT): International Division. Award received for the article:
- Xu, J., Du, J., & Fan, X. (2014). Emotion management in online groupwork reported by Chinese students. Educational Technology Research and Development, 62, 795-819.
- Faculty Research Award Recipient, Mississippi State University, 2014.
- The Herb Handley Research Award, College of Education, Mississippi State University, 2012.
- Drinking tea