Department / Division
- Applied Behavior Analysis Faculty
- Assistant Professor
- Program Coordinator of Applied Behavior Analysis
- B.S., Florida State University, Psychology
- Ph.D., Mississippi State University, School Psychology
- Post-doctorate, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine/Kennedy Krieger Institute, Department of Behavioral Psychology-Pediatric Feeding Disorders Program
- Assessment and treatment of Pediatric Feeding Disorders
- Autism spectrum disorder and developmental/intellectual disabilities
- Development of pre-treatment assessments to increase efficiency of treatment process
- Exploring relationship between caregiver acceptability and maintenance of treatment integrity
- Principles of Behavior Analysis
- Applications of Behavior Analysis
- Consultation, Supervision, & Personnel Management in Applied Behavior Analysis
Pichardo, D., Franke, K., Smith, H. M., & Suarez, L., & Kozlowski, A. M., (2020). A systematic review of food preference assessments for children with pediatric feeding disorders: A need for modifications and technological descriptions. Behavioral Development, xx(x), xx-xx.
Smith, H. M., Gadke, D. L., Stratton, K. K., Ripple, H. E., & Reisener, C. D., (2019). Providing noncontingent access to music in addition to escape extinction as a treatment for liquid refusal in a child with autism. Behavior Analysis: Research and Practice, 19(1), 94-102.
Shrewsbury, S. M., Hardesty, S. L., & Smith, H. M. (2019, December). Rapid assessment of physical prompts for the treatment of pediatric food refusal. Poster presented at the Maryland Association for Behavior Analysis Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD.
Smith, H. M. (2019, August). Application of behavioral strategies to address feeding difficulties among children with CHARGE syndrome. Paper presented at the annual International CHARGE Syndrome Conference, Dallas, TX.
Smith, H.M., Lesser, A., & Gonzalez, M.L. (2018, May). Acquisition of Self-Feeding Skills for Children with Feeding Disorders. Paper presented to the annual Applied Behavior Analysis International Conference, San Diego, CA.
Selected Professional Activities and Memberships
- Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI), Active Member
- Behavior Analysts Association of Mississippi, Active Member, Founding Student Member
- American Psychological Association (APA) Division 25: Behavior Analysis, Active Member
Certifications and Licensures
- Licensed Psychologist, State of Mississippi
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst-Doctoral
- Licensed Psychologist, State of Maryland (Inactive)